Many things have been said about leadership.
Do you ever sit down to ponder over the message in just about every personal development or self-help systems have in common?
They all talk about how YOU have to be in charge.
Some try to define who the “YOU” really is. But whether “YOU” is your conscious self, your subconscious self, your divine self, or whoever, the concept of “YOU” being in charge is important.
Some also try de define in charge of what: in charge of your feelings, in charge of your life, in charge of whatever you feel you must change to be a better or happier human being.
But in all cases, the “YOU” is omnipresent.
In a post about leadership, I will of course mention how YOU can be a good leader. And leadership is one of the aspects of designing your business that is fundamental. Then how can YOU be a great leader? Well you already have read books, or maybe been to seminars, or even hired a coach to better yourself. And he has told you how to care about “YOU”, and you have applied methods, maybe followed through, and probably feel stronger as a result.
That is one aspect of leadership. The other aspect of leadership is “THEM”. Those people you are setting about to lead. These people, each one of them, have the same needs of personal fulfillment you have. They are each listening to his or her own uniqueness and how they can make a difference. In an organization, all these different and unique human beings have to use their unique talent to feel good, to feel right. You also have a single purpose to fill out: The purpose of YOUR business organization.
As a leader, herein lies the challenge: How to get all these individual and unique people to contribute efficiently to the common goal? Well we must remember that everything run to ways: To be unique, we have to allow others to be unique. To have trustworthy people we must grant that trust, to have people serve us we must serve them.
In practical terms, in our the way we think about leadership, we would be better off if we chose to follow basic principles:
- Allow each human being to feel and express his unique human-ness.
This is contrary to what is happening in our organizations today where we constantly deny each employee his right to be “human”. He has to conform to a strict protocol:
- Work in his designated space, one which is standardized, and the same as the one next, and which he did not design,
- Conform to same work practices as his neighbors.
- Work designated hours.
… the list goes on and on.
- Trust your co-workers
We are today in a environment of profound distrust because we are afraid. Afraid that people will rob us, harm us, do something damaging to our organization. This distrust is felt be everyone: clients, employees, suppliers, and investors. We have to reverse that tendency buy trusting our clients, our employees from the heart. This trust is fundamental to obtain loyalty and a level of implication which can drive creativity and quality in your organization.
- Clarify the destination, not the path.
To apply this on a concrete level, two things must happen:
- Realize fully the greater cause which is behind your organization. The human purpose, the basic fundamental aspiration of betterment which drives and motivates every action and development in the company.
- mentality shift must take place where those in charge of leading understand that they are to provide a service to the ones they lead so that they may path they way. So that they may do their part, express their human creativity and genius to get one step closer to the common goal.